Citizen-Service-Number | Undutchables

Citizen Service Number

If you intend to work in the Netherlands, you need to register at City Hall in the town or city where you are residing. You will receive a citizen service number (BSN) when you register with a municipality. Which is why every person must be registered with a municipality, even if you move to the Netherlands temporarily. This citizen service number is your personal tax identification number. It is required when you start working in order to register your taxes and social security contributions with the Dutch government, and is also often required in hospitals and schools.

Please note that having a citizen service number does not automatically mean that you are permitted to work in the Netherlands! You might still need a work permit as well.

It is also important to know that with the introduction of the Health Insurance Act in January 2006, family members of a foreign employee must have their own citizen service number, residence permit, and Dutch health insurance as well.

Subscribe to our Newsletter and/or Job Alert

Would you like to receive our Undutchables Newsletter? In this newsletter we will give you guidance on working in the Netherlands and working with internationals, let you know about upcoming events and share interesting articles. And do you wish to stay up to date about our latest vacancies? Subscribe now to our job alert to get the newest vacancies sent straight to your inbox.

Indicate here what you want to receive:
I want to receive a newsletter
I want to receive a job alert