Non-EU nationals | Undutchables

Non-EU nationals

Non-EU nationals need to apply for a residence permit before coming to the Netherlands. In most cases, before applying for a residence permit you will need a temporary entry permit called a Provisional Residence Permit (MVV Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf; please see below). If you are a national of a country not required to submit a MVV, you can enter the Netherlands without one. To apply for a residence permit, you must report to the foreign police (IND) within three working days.

You must also meet the following conditions:

  • you must have a valid passport
  • you must have health insurance with coverage in the Netherlands
  • you must not be a risk to public order
  • you must be prepared to undergo an examination for tuberculosis
  • you must have sufficient funds

Requirements for each purpose of stay

You have come to stay in the Netherlands for a reason, for instance, to live with your family, work or study here. The reason for your visit is the purpose of your stay. Different requirements apply and different documents are required for every purpose. For instance, if you want to live with your spouse in the Netherlands, you will need to provide a marriage certificate. If you are planning to work for a company in the Netherlands, you will need to provide an employment contract.

Provisional residence permit (MVV)

The Provisional residence permit (MVV) is a special visa which some nationals need when entering the Netherlands. You need it when applying for a residence permit.

Not everyone needs an MVV. Nationalities that are exempt from the MVV requirement are Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, United States of America or Vatican City. More information can be found on the IND website.

Applying for MVV

The IND assesses your MVV application. The procedure can take some time, generally three months. For this reason, you should not book your journey to the Netherlands until your MVV has been issued.

When you are British and move from the UK to the Netherlands you will need to apply for a residence permit. More information can be found on the site of the IND

Subscribe to our Newsletter and/or Job Alert

Would you like to receive our Undutchables Newsletter? In this newsletter we will give you guidance on working in the Netherlands and working with internationals, let you know about upcoming events and share interesting articles. And do you wish to stay up to date about our latest vacancies? Subscribe now to our job alert to get the newest vacancies sent straight to your inbox.

Indicate here what you want to receive:
I want to receive a newsletter
I want to receive a job alert